A Garden Amongst The Weeds

A Garden Amongst The Weeds

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sea Fever!

Did you ever play Pirate in your bed when you were a little kid? 

Once upon a very long time ago, when I was a little girl,
A tomboy really, I dreamed of being a fearsome pirate. 
I'd stand in my bed wearing my dad's over-sized hat 
and pretend that I could see other ships far off in the distance.

It turns out that I've instilled this overactive imagination in my children.

My birthday is next weekend, it just happens to coincide with the Third Annual Rover's Revel!
We are going to have a party, pirate style!

 Bridge in the making

  
Flags flying high


Bet your Momma would have had a fit if you carted your bed outside!

Can you see her yet?

Come on, dust off that imagination and hold your head just so, 
you can almost see her...


Here...

This will help...

"Sea-Fever"

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.



I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide 
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;


And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.



I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;



And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

By John Masefield (1878-1967).


Of course there will be lots more pictures to come as the Mary Angeline becomes a real ship.
She will sail toward the pink evening light of Mount Shasta




Ships need a docking point and the Mary Angeline is no exception.


This will be the camping area for Our Rovers

Puddles the Pirate is an artist, he built
our mascot,
Cap'n Morgan!


Happy Sailing to ye! 
May the winds be swift and true and always at yer back...

No comments:

Post a Comment